TINE Forums
 SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
start blogging your Cornwall now...
Welcome to TINE Cornwall. Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index - View unanswered posts
SECOND SCOOPTRAM FOR SOUTH CROFTY AS TIN PRICE SOARS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index -> South Crofty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: SECOND SCOOPTRAM FOR SOUTH CROFTY AS TIN PRICE SOARS. Reply with quote

Miners at South Crofty have taken delivery of a second scooptram to speed up the tunnelling process as the mine prepares for full-scale tin production. The development comes at a time when the world price of tin has again reached a record high.

Managing Director Kevin Williams and Technical Director David Stone made their new purchase, worth about £50,000, after a visit to Hanover in Germany. It is the first in a series of mining equipment that Baseresult Holdings Limited is buying over the next few months as progress towards full-scale mining accelerates.

‘We bought our first scooptram just over two years ago but we needed another one to improve the efficiency of our operation,’ said Mr Williams. ‘The two machines will be used in conjunction with each other to clean the rock out of the tunnels after blasting and then bringing the rock to the surface.’

The new scooptram is currently being prepared for its underground activities and will start to be used within the next few weeks.

‘With tin metal prices now soaring to more than $16,000 per tonne, we are moving towards tin production as quickly as possible because we obviously want to benefit from the huge price increase,’ said David Stone. ‘When we set out to purchase the mine in 2000 the price was around $4,000 a tonne. With modernisation, we considered the operation to be viable then. Now, at more than 4 times the price, we cannot wait to be in production.’

Since Cornwall County Council approved Baseresult’s Review of Mineral Planning Permissions (ROMPs) application last year, the company has been working hard on its plans to relocate surface operations to the south side of the site at the Tuckingmill Decline. This will free up 27 acres for Crofty Developments – a property company that is working in close partnership with Baseresult – to develop plans for new housing, commercial units and a heritage centre on the site.

The outcome of a planning inquiry into the proposed development is expected by the end of September. Should the decision not be favourable for Crofty Developments, Baseresult will retain the Dudnance Lane site solely for mining operations.

Whatever the outcome, the large-scale buildings and uses proposed in the recently published Dudnance Lane Implementation Plan are, according to Baseresult, incompatible with mining and if such proposals become adopted planning policy they say the operational future of the mine will be threatened.

‘As the mine continues to make further progress towards production it is all the more important that the public make their views known on the DLIP proposals before the deadline expires on 10th August,’ said Alan Shoesmith, Finance Director. ‘We firmly believe that the DLIP will sterilise minerals in the mine and, if that happens, Camborne, Pool and Redruth will be denied the opportunity of the huge economic boom to the area that tin production will bring.’
tregenna

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourism, icecream and deckchairs

In a speech made at Camborne in support of the miners David Penhaligon MP famously said...

''You need more in an economy than just tourism, icecream and deckchairs. Our mining industry is not a figment of the last decade or the last two decades. It has occupied Cornishmen and it has produced wealth for this century, the previous century and probably the last two thousand years; and what we’re asking the government to do is to recognise the great contribution we have made for the wealth of Britain, and in this time of great trial and tribulation to come to our assistance - that’s what we’re asking our government to do.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Penhaligon#Tourism.2C_icecream_and_deckchairs

South Crofty tin mine aims to re-open in 2009

Europe's last tin mine could restart production in 2009, 11 years after it closed, says its owner. Baseresult Holdings Ltd, which bought the South Crofty mine in 2001, has created a new company, Western United Mines Limited (WUM), to operate it. The firm said it would be spending more than £50m on restarting the mine which closed in 1998. It said rising tin prices had given the mine, first opened in the late 16th Century, another 80 years of life.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7074562.stm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a63MlC8HR1E
South Crofty / Politics show

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sFshCpMmDgw
Cornish Stannary History
frenchie

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heartlands project.

In the videos it only mentions mining as being in the past, no mention about Crofty opening.
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you folk rate Penhaligon?
Kerrow

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course he died quite a long time ago now - in 1986 - but he was very, very well thought of.

It's particularly difficult to show 'strong leadership' in Cornwall (which is a good thing as well as a bad thing) but he was able to negotiate the many obstacles in a way that was unusually effective.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: