TINE Forums
 SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
start blogging your Cornwall now...
Welcome to TINE Cornwall. Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index - View unanswered posts
MK CALL ON SW RDA TO SUPPORT SOUTH CROFTY PLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index -> South Crofty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaz

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: MK CALL ON SW RDA TO SUPPORT SOUTH CROFTY PLAN Reply with quote

"Members of the Camborne and Redruth constituency party of Mebyon Kernow have called on both the South West Regional Development Agency (RDA) and the Urban Regeneration Company (URC) for the area to drop any opposition to the current re-opening of South Crofty Mine. The MK members want statements issued in support of the mine.

Cllr Stuart Cullimore, who serves on both Camborne Town Council and Kerrier District Council, said:
“It is bad enough that these quangos have the influence they do over Cornish affairs and Cornish businesses, and they have not always in the best interests of Cornwall. Local people perceive that the quangos have opposed the current re-opening of South Crofty Mine.

“With the recession and the prospect of increased unemployment looming, I call on the SWRDA and the URC to drop their opposition and issue a public statement of support for the current re-opening of the mine. The re-opening will create 200 well-paid jobs as well as retaining the fifty currently employed at the site. In addition to these jobs, an equal number of spin-off jobs will be created in the industries servicing the mine - jobs that are desperately needed in the current climate.”

Camborne Town councillor Mike Champion added:
“I fully support the mine’s brave attempt to create jobs against what has certainly in the past been obstruction from organisations who seem hell-bent on imposing their ‘vision’ of what is needed in Camborne and Redruth. It is a ‘vision’ largely rejected by the people.
“I have seen the proposals for the re-opening of the mine and what is proposed is a modern 21st century mine, which would once again show Cornwall at the leading edge of mining technology and engineering.

“The jobs proposed are real jobs, which will put a lot of money into the local economy, supporting local shops and business - not jobs calculated by a desk-top study or projections based on numbers of houses to be built.

“The jobs are there waiting to be created - all that is needed is for the SWRDA and the other quangos to stop their opposition and back the mine.”

Article taken from here

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: