TINE Forums
 SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
start blogging your Cornwall now...
Welcome to TINE Cornwall. Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index - View unanswered posts
Cornish Language

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index -> Police
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonFlower

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Cornish Language Reply with quote

Oh look, no Cornish Language supported by the D&C Police:

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/v3/pdfstore/languages.pdf

I have to admit there are several languages on that list that I've never heard of, and I thought that I was reasonably cultured.
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broody herr - they even have Scottish Gaelic! That's hard enough to get in Scotland!

They also list "Yugoslavian" as a language - should be Serbo-Croat, surely!

Yes, there's a few I haven't heard of. Luo is a language spoken in Kenya, but Lusoga? As for the "Bad" language?! Twisted Evil (There is also an "Anal language", spoken in India... and Westminster, by 13,000 people. I wonder if it's related.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_language
P_Trembath

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornish Language Reply with quote

JonFlower wrote:
Oh look, no Cornish Language supported by the D&C Police:

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/v3/pdfstore/languages.pdf

I have to admit there are several languages on that list that I've never heard of, and I thought that I was reasonably cultured.

The list says that it is languages that they have "Access" to. Perhaps no Cornish speaker has offered to provide them with a translation service before.(I wonder why Shocked )
Perhaps it is something that one of our fluent speakers should offer?
Their reply would be interesting.
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Access" means very little. I think some of the time, it may mean bringing someone in from London with a knowledge of it (or Caerdydd/Cardiff in the case of Welsh). Some of the translation would be very basic. I doubt for example, if a Scot refused to speak in English, that they would take the request for a Gaidhlig speaker too seriously. They'd just argue we all spoke English.

Some of the other languages, as Jon, points out, are very unusual. I doubt the number of speakers of them, in the UK would even reach hundreds, particularly in the case of Cherokee. There are only a handful of Tibetans in the UK as well.

What I do find amazing is how British Sign Language is not listed! BSL is not a form of English, it's a language in its own right, and there are a number of people who have it as a first language and/or don't know English well. In some cases, BSL users may not be able to speak. We had a young girl in for work experience who couldn't really speak, who could only lipread to a degree, and whose handwriting was very basic - she'd come in from the deaf school.
Fulup le Breton

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTIC LEAGUE - PRESS INFORMATION

CORNWALL - POLICE PRESSED ON LANGAGUE AND CULTURAL COMMITMENT

Devon and Cornwall Police have once again been pressed to respond to a questionnaire from the Celtic League on their commitment to Cornish language and culture.

The letter, from League General Secretary Rhisiart Tal-e-bot, is part of a series to police services throughout the British Isles. For the most part responses have been received promptly with positive results from some Force areas in Wales, Scotland and Mann.

So far Devon and Cornwall police and An Garda Siochana are the only Forces to `drag their heels' over responding.

Rhisiart Tal-e-bot presented the first phase of what he termed `The Police Report' to the Celtic League AGM in Dublin in August 2008.

"Chief Inspector Brendan Brookshaw
Head of Equality & Diversity Unit
Headquarters
Devon & Cornwall Constabulary
Middlemoor HQ
Exeter EX2 7HQ
Devon
England

09/04/09

Dear Chief Inspector Brendan Brookshaw

Devon and Cornwall Police Constabulary: Cornish language and cultural commitment

I am writing to you enclosing a copy of a letter that I originally sent to Chief Constable Stephen Otter on 29th April 2008, but have not yet received a reply. I sent a further copy of the same letter to Chief Constable Otter during the latter part of 2008, in case my original letter had been misplaced, but did not receive a reply to this one either.

I am now writing to you in the hope that the questions that the Celtic League have about these issues can be addressed by yourself or an appropriate person within your department. The Celtic League has now written to all the police constabularies and/or their representatives that serve the Celtic countries (with the exception of Brittany) and we have received replies from all of them, with the exception of Commissioner Fachtna Murphy from the Republic of Ireland, who we wrote to in January 2009, and Devon and Cornwall Police Constabulary.

All of the replies to date have been very encouraging and positive and we have been thanked for pointing out how some of the Constabularies could ensure greater diversity and equality within their areas in respect to the different Celtic languages and cultures. It is therefore a disappointment to us that even though Devon and Cornwall Constabulary was one of the first constabularies that we wrote to about these issues, we are still yet to receive a reply or even an acknowledgment of our correspondence.

The Celtic League campaigns on a range of different issues and diversity and equality, within various spheres, play an important part in our work. On the 18th February 2009, the Kernow (Cornwall) Branch of the League received confirmation that their application to become members of the Diversity Network for Cornwall (DNfC) had been approved. It was actually suggested to the Kernow Branch, by Inspector John Jackson at the Diversity Unit of Devon and Cornwall Constabulary, that they should get in touch with the DNfC, with the aim of working more closely with others with the aim of combating discrimination within Cornwall. We would like to point out that a representative from the Branch will raise the difficulties in the next meeting of DNfC that it has encountered with corresponding with Devon and Cornwall Police Constabulary on this (and other) issues in the past.

Primarily though our members would like to know what the Constabulary's thoughts and answers are to the questions and issues that have been raised in the enclosed letter and would appreciate a prompt response, in view of the fact that we have waited for almost a year from the date of our initial letter to you.

Yours sincerely
Rhisiart Tal-e-bot"

See related articles on Celtic News at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celtic_league/message/2939
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celtic_league/message/2759

J B Moffatt
Director of Information
Celtic League

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: