TINE Forums
 SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
start blogging your Cornwall now...
Welcome to TINE Cornwall. Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index - View unanswered posts
Cornish Internet Invasion Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index -> Cornish Politics - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fulup le Breton

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government is taking a greater interest in the Internet, its potential to strengthen democracy and increase the participation of UK subjects in decision making.

"can participation on the web reinforce representative democracy?": http://ourkingdom.opendemocracy.net/2008/03/24/networking-democracy/

Consequently OurKingdom is running an online deliberation involving Michael Wills, the Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice, on how the potential of the Internet can be integrated into a national political process. OK are inviting regular readers and contributors to add comments to the article and also promote debate about the subject in various forums, so ere I iz!

A genuine effort to improve UK democracy or just another ploy to appear modern and open to change? The full OurKingdom article (link above) explains all as well as how people and groups can get involved.

The importance of the Internet to the Cornish movement, as for the wider cultural scene, is surely in no doubt now, but is there anyway to be more effective in getting our message across whilst dialoguing with government?

That's the crux of the OK idea and just to finish I have included below an extract from the OK article that I think is well written and pertinent to Cornwall.

An important lesson for me is that while the Minister’s fears are understandable they may be misconceived. The web is not just a version of ‘The general public’. Voting does indeed disaggregate everyone into private, anonymous individuals, whose ‘x’s are then counted. But the web is not just a soup of isolated individuals prone to manipulation by the wicked or the commercial and in need of benevolent guidance from the authorities. Rather, it consists of many groups, networks, communities and cyber-associations, such as regular readers of particular blogs, small and labile aggregations, some very persistent, with over-lapping interests and memberships, often very intelligent and capable of learning. The success of social networking sites like facebook is that they generally use real names and create, precisely, social networks.
Fulup le Breton

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a couple of blog projects now that may be of interest to those actively involved in developing the Cornish cyberspace.

The first is BlogCymru.com who have kindly listed the Cornish Democrat. The second is the Witanagemot Club which I think I have a cat in hells chance of being listed on.

Essentially both sites list other blogs that share a common theme. They act as central resources for others wishing to explore English and Welsh blogging. Both sites provide bloggers who agree with their general political position banners that link back to the central directory.

With the Cornish Fighting Fund we had a similar set up but it was temporary. How about a permanent blog directory that promoted more general objectives i.e Cornish national recognition and greater home-rule?

There are plenty of bloggers who would place such a link banner on their website and this would provide a simple way of raising awareness about Cornish issues.
Fulup le Breton

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments from a Welsh friend.

Quote:
AJ, who hosts Blog Cymru also hosts a similar project for Scottish Gaelic Blogs. If you asked him I'm sure that he would be willing to host a Blog Kernow site too!

I'm sure that there are many sites who would be happy to be included in Blog Kernow. On the political front Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrats active in Cornwall. And then there are gardeners, fishermen and housewives who blog about just living in Cornwall - get them all together to create a Cornish web identity for your nation!

Plus MK now on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MebyonKernow
Fulup le Breton

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you all know MK has an unofficial yahoo groups newsletter?: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MebyonKernow/

As does the Celtic League: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celtic_league/

The MK one is pretty dead at the moment. It is what we make of it. The Leagues one is excellent though.
Fulup le Breton

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this links directory still working I wonder: http://www.cornishlinks.net/

The banner they provide is what I had in mind.
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Leagues one is excellent though.

Generally good, but it can contain personal opinions, and also a few inaccuracies. For example, one report listed David Penhaligon as a Tory!
Fulup le Breton

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POLLUK.com

Devolution to a Cornish Assembly

Another chance to vote on a UK polling website.
Fulup le Breton

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of community website, Local People and Cornwall Matters, that might be of interest detailed here: http://thecornishdemocrat.blogspot.com/2009/08/cornish-internet-invasion.html

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: