TINE Forums
 SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
start blogging your Cornwall now...
Welcome to TINE Cornwall. Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index - View unanswered posts
Kernewek Dasunys Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index -> Single Written Form
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frenchie

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did not realise that you were that old Frenchie.

I was the last one in the queue.. Smile
P_Trembath

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, I was the first in the queue. Mad

I have to be honest, this whole language debate seems to be getting a bit out of hand, with all the arguments and insults flying around. After having brought up my family, I find myself with some spare time that I could devote to learning "my" language. But knowing the problems that I had trying to learn English (reading was not so bad, but writing and spelling were a nightmare, and still are, as for French, after a;ll thise years at school, I think that I can just about count to 10) I am put off by all the contradictory "information" that we seem to be bombarded with at the moment.
Please stop arguing, and agree on an SWF, so that I and many like me can get our language back. Plesae, Pritty Please, Grovel. Rolling Eyes
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an outsider, I have to say that I find the bickering over the different versions offputting. I used to read that excellent magazine (now defunct), ithe Celtic Pen, and there was a review in there of a children's dictionary, which was basically "my version good, your version bad". I've heard it from all sides...

The main thing about Cornish, is not to split hairs, but to get on with using it. Hebrew would have never been properly revived if people were continually looking at the minutiae. Get more of it into websites, broadcasting, signposts, magazines/newspapers etc. Get it normalised. And don't write in Cornish about Cornish (that's what too many articles in Scottish Gaelic do) all the time!
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[duplicate message deleted]

Last edited by Scottish Republican on Sat May 26, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
morvran

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynnargh '(a) welcome', dynnerghi '(to) welcome', and X agas dynnergh! 'X welcomes you' are well established on signs etc., although I'm told that strictly speaking the words means 'greeting, greet, greets you' though that's probably splitting hairs. Wolkomm etc. despite being well attested historically are usually avoided these days, because just as Mike said, it looks a bit silly, 'naughty English'.

Actually if you take the time to read the Middle Cornish plays rather than just do a word search, you'll find that people almost always greet one another with Lowene dhys! 'Joy to thee!' Razz
Morvyl

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morvran wrote:

Actually if you take the time to read the Middle Cornish plays rather than just do a word search, you'll find that people almost always greet one another with Lowene dhys! 'Joy to thee!' Razz

'Lowena dhys/dhewgh' is exactly what I have been using and teaching for the past few years.
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morvran wrote:
Dynnargh '(a) welcome', dynnerghi '(to) welcome', and X agas dynnergh! 'X welcomes you' are well established on signs etc., although I'm told that strictly speaking the words means 'greeting, greet, greets you' though that's probably splitting hairs. Wolkomm etc. despite being well attested historically are usually avoided these days, because just as Mike said, it looks a bit silly, 'naughty English'

Nothing wrong with Dynnargh or Wolkom. For the simple reason, that you have more than one word meaning the same thing, which is excellent for creative writing.
Morvyl

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th'of vy unver genas.
marhak

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcomma/wolcumma isn't that bad if you include written preocclusion as was common in Late Cornish. Signs would then say: Pensans 'gas wolcubma. In the end, it doesn't really matter what it looks like. It's genuine.
Bardh

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottish Republican's point is good - we should concentrate on promoting the language. Unfortunately, we've been diverted from this by the imposition of this Mickey-Mouse 'Process' which purports to invalidate everything that we've done with the language for over a century. Mind you, this is pretty much par for the course. The remit of the 'Government Office for the Southwest' is predicated on the non-existence of Cornwall. Anything in which the GOSW have a hand is, by definition, part of the general project of removing control from Cornwall and undermining our identity. We're not fit, apparently, to run our own emergency services, our own economy, or our own broadcasting services. It's all of a piece with this that we're not fit to run our own language.

GOSW have been very careful how they handled this. Rather than risking confrontation, they've shifted responsibility onto professional academics, a category of person who's attitude to Cornish and Cornish-speakers is, with few honourable exceptions, about as objective as the attitude of the Imperial Grand Wizard of the Klu Klux Klan to African-Americans. In particular, they rely on the University of Exeter to implement the assult. Since, on the whole, academics' knowledge of Cornish is less than mine of high finance, they in their turn rely on the three disparate groupuscules who've been making themselves a nuisance.

The Authenticists want to wipe out Modern Cornish and put the clock back to 1550. The Modernists think that it *is* 1750, and that they are therefor the very latest thing. As 2007 lies in their far-off future, it (and all of us who live in it) can safely be ignored. The Klingonists accept that it's 2007, but want to wipe out Modern Cornish in the interests of the spaceage supertongue that will be spoken on the planet Vulcan in 3007. Together, the three could half-fill a bus, but they've got the sheer fanatical determination to churn out the same mendacious cant day in and day out, and they have the academic contacts to provide them with plausible outlets. It's noticeable that a University of Exeter journal is virtually the house magazine of the Authenticist-Modernist-Klingonist alliance.

The strategy is a simple one. The AMK alliance provide the excuse to divert resources from Cornish for months and years. Their constant vilification of us and our language deters people from acquiring and learning Cornish, and undermines people's confidence in their identity. UE give a respectable front to this, and give the 'Process' the unspoken parameters that will encourage the kinds of conclusions that GOSW want. We get an AMK-devised dog's breakfast of a 'Government Cornish' imposed on us, and the resultant outcry disrupts the Cornish-speaking community beyond repair. The whole enterprise runs into the sand, GOSW shake their heads, murmur that they did their best - and pull the plug. Mission accomplished.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: