TINE Forums
 SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
start blogging your Cornwall now...
Welcome to TINE Cornwall. Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index - View unanswered posts
Confused.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index -> Cornish Stannary Parliament
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P_Trembath

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Confused. Reply with quote

Is the CSP that is in existence today a pressure group, or an actual political governing body, that is a continuation of the original Stannary Parliament of years gone by?
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused. Reply with quote

P_Trembath wrote:
Is the CSP that is in existence today a pressure group, or an actual political governing body, that is a continuation of the original Stannary Parliament of years gone by?

It claims to be both, but as I say in my electorate article, there ought to be elections to legitimise the thing.

If the Muslims can have their own parliament, why not the Cornish?
frenchie

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused. Reply with quote

P_Trembath wrote:

As far as I see it, the CSP are too busy being a pressure group, putting together court cases etc. to spend much time setting up what would be seen as more of a 'proper parliament' although steps have been taken in this direction recently. I would say that once they get a result in Europe i.e. gain more official cred for Cornwall as a recognised nation/national minority, then they would certainly be looking to establish a more workable form of active parliament/government type of thing. Without such powers of recognition the UK Government will always look to squash their claims at every given opportunity; the English Heritage signs case was a typical example of that.

While the CSP is a 'reconvened' version of the original parliament it still pretty much has the same clout as the original CSP. Also, as it has been in continual existence for over 20 years it has 'customary' rights to exist anyway.

As far as I know the Stannary Parliament could never be abolished unless it does so itself and the rights and powers it used to hold are still in place. For example, the right to veto UK Act of Parliament still exists today but putting that into practice without official recognition by at least the EU and ideally by the UK would be a hard struggle. So I would say for now the important thing is to achieve a result either through the current E.C.H.R. submission or by putting pressure on the UK Government via the EU, something that is in the pipeline but cannot yet be discussed. Watch this space though for more news from the EU..

As an example of how stannary issues are still current today, a judge still sits at Truro Crown Court with sole responsibility and jurisdiction on Stannary and Duchy matters, confirming that the ancient Stannary Court is still in existence today under it's constitutional relationship with the Duchy.
joanie

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it all a question of legitimacy? If people believe that an organisation or thing can do x and y, then you're halfway there to doing it?

Say you elect a parliament, and most people in Cornwall are involved - at least as far as knowing about it, and knowing that they can make a vote if they want to, and then these people can choose to follow decisions of the Stannary Parliament if they want to... and then if enough people do this then it undermines the legitimacy of Westminster law.

As an example, and because its topical, if everyone decided to have a fag with thier pint of beer, then the cops and the rest of the authorities would not have a leg to stand on as they couldn't enforce it. Law only exists because we allow it too. Its just that in Britain we have a culture of (largely) following the rules we are set and grumbling heavily when we dont like them.

In Greece for example, they have a law that people riding motorcycles must wear crash helmets. Most people dont want to (its thier lives i guess) and so the law becomes unworkable.

My point is, that If the Stannary Parliament can get enough popular support, then it could be an exciting way foreward for the Cornish movement.
frenchie

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanie wrote:
Isn't it all a question of legitimacy? If people believe that an organisation or thing can do x and y, then you're halfway there to doing it?

Say you elect a parliament, and most people in Cornwall are involved - at least as far as knowing about it, and knowing that they can make a vote if they want to, and then these people can choose to follow decisions of the Stannary Parliament if they want to... and then if enough people do this then it undermines the legitimacy of Westminster law.

As an example, and because its topical, if everyone decided to have a fag with their pint of beer, then the cops and the rest of the authorities would not have a leg to stand on as they couldn't enforce it. Law only exists because we allow it too. Its just that in Britain we have a culture of (largely) following the rules we are set and grumbling heavily when we don't like them.

In Greece for example, they have a law that people riding motorcycles must wear crash helmets. Most people don't want to (its their lives I guess) and so the law becomes unworkable.

My point is, that If the Stan Parliament can get enough popular support, then it could be an exciting way forward for the Cornish movement.

Of course it's a question of legitimacy. The CSP have the legal right to govern Cornwall. Doing it is another matter. You mention about all of Cornwall getting behind it but that's just a dream because most of Cornwall are too content in their Anglicised/western capitalist ways.

Years ago people used to revolt/rebel because their situation was bad... really bad. These days life's OK so you can't get enough people to join in any sort of backlash because after the debate they all retire to their cosy little boxes to watch Big Brother on their even smaller boxes. This is a modern dilemma that will be talked about in the future; everyone knew that something was not right but everyone was too comfy to do anything about it. The government know this and they know that the drive is no longer there because of this comfort factor. Look at America; one third of the population think that Bush was involved in 9/11 - in New York a staggering 80% of the population polled their view to this conclusion yet still the tyrant continues. Look at the Palestine/Israel situation. It's the same the world over, everyone who has the capacity to change the world because they are aware of the real truths doesn't do anything, because they are too fucking comfortable the rest of the time.

There's only one way the CSP will return Kernow's power of self-governance and that's through the European courts. If you want to see change in Cornwall support the CSP in any way you can, particularly financially, they may be your only hope, and there's really only one man who is truly holding the whole thing together and pushing it forward to a potentially positive conclusion - and most so called Cornish nationalists don't even know his fucking name!
joanie

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit more optomistic than you Frenchie Laughing

I didn't mean all Cornwall, just a goodly proportion. And of course it would have to be pitched right around the sorts of issues that really bug people.

Sure people allow themselves to get apathetic etc, but there is also alot of discontent around right now in relation to how Cornwall gets treated.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: