TINE Forums
 SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
start blogging your Cornwall now...
Welcome to TINE Cornwall. Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index - View unanswered posts
Curfew in Redruth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index -> Cornish Politics - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Curfew in Redruth Reply with quote

Cornwall's second item in the UK news, today...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2270626/Youth-curfew-in-Redruth-to-crackdown-on-anti-social-behaviour.html

Youth curfew in Redruth to crackdown on anti-social behaviour
A police force is introducing a youth curfew to cut down on anti-social behaviour which will be the first to punish parents for letting their children out alone at night.

By Richard Alleyne
Last Updated: 8:17PM BST 08 Jul 2008

Operation Goodnight in Redruth, Cornwall, will see officers given the power to remove any youth under 16 seen on the streets after 9pm and any child under 10 after 8pm.

Officers in Redruth, Cornwall, say they have been forced into the extensive curfew in an attempt to make parents more responsible for their children.

The scheme encourages parents to voluntarily sign up to the lock-in and register their children.

Any child found outside after hours will then be checked on a register and if their parents have refused to take part in the voluntary scheme they face tough parenting orders.

Police hope the scheme will not only tackle young offenders but also highlight parents who are failing to take responsibility for their offspring.

It is thought to be the first curfew in the country of its type to use powers to punish parents who refuse to take part. They face tough social orders or even criminal prosecutions.

PC Marc Griffin, who is behind Operation Goodnight, said the curfew was brought in because unsupervised youngsters face an "increased risk" of becoming offenders.

Redruth - population 13,000 - has one of the worst crime records in Cornwall but still has figures below the national averages.

PC Griffiths said: "It is about time parents started to take responsibility for their own children. There are kids all over the country who don't know right from wrong - that makes them vulnerable.

"Young people are at an increased risk of becoming either a victim or offender of crime and or anti social behaviour if left unsupervised during the evenings.

"This is a voluntary scheme but there is a hard edge, in that, if we find families who aren't getting involved we can make orders.

"If we find the same child two or three times in breach of the curfew, if their parents haven't agreed to take part, then we can make parenting orderings if we feel it is in the best interest of the child.

"The spirit of this scheme is not about restricting what our young people can and cannot do, but making certain that during the summer holiday evenings they are able to enjoy themselves but not at the expense of the wider community.

"As far as we aware this is the first scheme of its type in the country. We want to put the responsibility for children back into the family home."

Letters are now being posted to over 700 families in the Close Hill area of Redruth ahead of the curfew, which will run from July 25 to September 7 to correspond with the school holidays.
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is thought to be the first curfew in the country of its type to use powers to punish parents who refuse to take part. They face tough social orders or even criminal prosecutions.

Depends what they mean by "country" - England (which they consider Cornwall part of) or UK (which is not a country!).

Not in the UK, for sure, Hamilton in Scotland had something similar.

Perhaps the Cornish police are ignoring the lessons of Scotland at their peril?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1055600.stm

Quote:
Recalling the pilot scheme in Hamilton, near Glasgow, Mr Waiton said it "was not helpful".

"The Hamilton curfew was launched as a child safety initiative but it wasn't needed.

"The reduction in crime was very minimal and it only increased fear and paranoia among adults about their own area.

"The real problem is a perception that kids hanging around the streets are responsible for much of the local crime.

Jack Straw is putting forward the proposals

"But in actual fact they are just doing the same type of thing that you and me did when we were a similar age," said Mr Waiton

Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an email I put out.

Dear folks,

Heard today that Redruth is initiating a curfew for youths. I wonder if any of the people there - cops, councillors or the rest are even aware of the failed experiment in Hamilton a few years back.

Hamilton is a medium sized town (c. 50,000) to the south east of Glasgow, not far from Motherwell. Its saving grace was that it returned Winnie Ewing as one of the early SNP MPs in 1967 (and also produced Scotland manager Jock Stein and Margo MacDonald). But putting it mildly, the place is a dump. It's one of fhose places which has suffered terrible post-industrial decline, and I suspect the youths there may make Redruth's look like pussycats (I once had the misfortune to see a bunch of them beating up an old man, and smashing a bottle over his head - so I've seen some of it myself!) Although it is extremely old, it has the flavour of a failed new town, complete with corrupt Labour politicians.

So will the "town fathers" of Redruth actually examine what happened in Scotland, or are they going to repeat the same mistakes? Or are they going to listen to Jack Straw, whose crime proposals are either ineffective or involve a police state?

All the best, SR
Shaz

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PC Marc Griffin, who is behind Operation Goodnight, said the curfew was brought in because unsupervised youngsters face an "increased risk" of becoming offenders.

The nanny state...

Surely if any of these youngsters are going to offend they will do it before the cufew hour. This is my experience from people I have know upcountry who have been on a police curfew.

Quote:
Redruth - population 13,000 - has one of the worst crime records in Cornwall but still has figures below the national averages.

Quote:
I suspect the youths there may make Redruth's look like pussycats (I once had the misfortune to see a bunch of them beating up an old man, and smashing a bottle over his head - so I've seen some of it myself!)

Precisely... maybe they are getting prepared for when they move the problem families down from Manchester and Liverpool then they'll get the gist of offending.
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I think it would be better to fine the parents, or dock their benefits if their children misbehave, rather than instituting a curfew.

The one thing is that as Redruth is smaller than many places, it may be possible to do. But then again, the death of the community bobby has meant that no one knows who the troublemakers are anymore. In the old days, and in some rural communities, everyone knows who they are.

Another problem is that some of our nastiest are not young teenagers. I've been assaulted several times in the last decade in Edinburgh, every time by people who were between 20-50.

Cathy Jamieson who wants to become Scottish Labour leader thought that if Buckie (Buckfast Tonic Wine - long story) was banned, that youth problems would go away. Here's the lady in Auchinleck in Ayrshire. You can see what the youths think of her cosmetic ideas.

Shaz

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So why here?
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaz wrote:
Quote:

So why here?

Maybe Cornwall is taking over from Scotland as the UK's guinea pig...

Just be thankful you didn't get the poll tax first.

But then again, like I said, which country is the article talking about? Not the UK, because Hamilton's had it. Not England, because Cornwall is not English. And not Cornwall, because they don't refer to Cornwall as a country!!!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: