TINE Forums
 SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
start blogging your Cornwall now...
Welcome to TINE Cornwall. Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index - View unanswered posts
Andrew George expenses row

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index -> Lib Dems in Cornwall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Andrew George expenses row Reply with quote

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2439479.ece

Quote:
Man's second home is £30 tent

A COUNCIL worker has put greedy MPs to shame — by using a £30 TENT as his second home.

Philip Hanman — who lives in Cornwall but works in London — has the same long distance weekly commute as his MP, Andrew George.

But while Mr George uses a £300,000 second home in Rotherhithe, East London — paid for with taxpayers' cash — Mr Hanman happily makes do in a £7-a-night campsite in Epping Forest paid for out if his own pocket.

Mr Hanman says MPs should follow his prudent lead and get back to nature with a sleeping bag and a "brew kit" to save the taxpayer some cash.

Luxury

Mr George, the Lib Dem leader, for St Ives is said to have claimed £847 a month on mortgage interest on his £300k flat. He also admitted that the flat is used by his 21-year-old model daughter as a "bolt-hole".

The cost of Mr George's luxury pad would buy a £30 tent for every MP who claims the second home allowance — and leave £9,000 left over.

Mr Hanman leaves home in Penzance every Monday for the eight hour drive to work at Barking and Dagenham council.

He took the job because of the lack of work in Cornwall.

And during the Summer months he lives along the rabbits and woodpeckers on an Epping Forest campsite in North London.

He said: "I recommend it to the MPs if they want to come and join me at the forest.

"My local MP Andrew George has a £300,000 second home in Rotherhithe and I have a £30 tent from Lidl."

He added: "I would very much like him to come out to Epping and share the bliss of the forest and see what life is like outside the sheltered environment of the Palace of Westminster, just to see how ordinary people who have to work a long way from home have to live."

Mr Hanman, who has two young children and a wife back in Penzance, continued: "I was offered a job in East London and thought, that's fine, I'll take it for a while and look for another job. But it turned out to be such a good job with such a good employer that I stayed.

"Obviously my family would prefer me to work in Cornwall. It's a lovely place, but there just isn't the work down there."

His campsite costs him just £7 a night and apart from the odd rainy night, Mr Hanman gets on fine.

"You learn to work around it," he said.

"I spent 30 years in the Territorial Army which certainly teaches you a few things about living in the open."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23695323-details/My+second+home+is+a+30+tent/article.do

Quote:

A lesson in canvassing
Terry Kirby

* One scrimps, the other runs up expenses

London council worker Philip Hanman has the same long-distance weekly commute from Cornwall as his local MP, Andrew George. But while Mr George has a £300,000 flat in Rotherhithe subsidised by the taxpayer, Mr Hanman happily makes do with a £30 tent pitched in Epping Forest, paid for out his own pocket.

Mr Hanman says greedy MP's — including St Ives representative Mr George, who has been accused of allowing his daughter to use his London home — should follow his prudent example, with a sleeping bag and “brew kit”, and wake up amid the rabbits and woodpeckers.

The cost of Mr George's home would, in fact, buy a £30 tent for every MP who claims the second home allowance ... with more than 9,000 left over.

Mr Hanman leaves his home in Penzance every Monday night and drives for eight hours to work from Tuesday to Friday at Barking and Dagenham council. He took the job because of a shortage of work in Cornwall. During the summer months he lives on an Epping Forest campsite.

He said: “I recommend it to the MPs if they want to come and join me at the forest. My local MP Andrew George has a £300,000 second home in Rotherhithe. I have a £30 tent from Lidl.”

He added: “I would very much like him to come out to Epping and share the bliss of the forest and see what life is like outside the sheltered environment of the Palace of Westminster, just to see how ordinary people who have to work a long way from home have to live.”

Mr Hanman, whose wife Giuliana is a languages teacher in Penzance, took the job four years ago. The couple have two young children. He said: “I was offered a job in east London and I thought, that's fine, I'll take it for a while and look for another job. But it turned out to be such a good job with such a good employer that I stayed.

“My employer has been very good to me and allowed me to work four long days each week which at least gives me a long weekend back home in Penzance. Obviously my family would prefer me to work in Cornwall.

“Cornwall is a lovely place and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but there just isn't the work down there.”

His campsite costs him just £7 a night. He said: “It has great facilities, right in the middle of the forest, surrounded by trees, rabbits, squirrels and a woodpecker or two. The problem is if there is really bad weather and you spend the night in mud and the next day you have got to get up and put on a suit and go to work. But you learn to work around it.”

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: