TINE Forums
 SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
start blogging your Cornwall now...
Welcome to TINE Cornwall. Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index - View unanswered posts
Comments from Cornish language translator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussing the future of Cornwall. Forum Index -> Single Written Form
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaz

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Comments from Cornish language translator Reply with quote

Quote:
It has been emphasised repeatedly that the SWF will be purely this: the system of Cornish taught in schools and used in official documents.

The other forms of Kernewek will not be banned from being used outside these areas, and people will still be able to carry on using them. People will be able to pronounce the SWF as Unified or Kemmyn if they so desire outside of these official areas, but there will be a recommended pronunciation for official use.

It is likely that the other forms will fall into disuse (unless there is a major backlash against the SWF or it is shown to have major flaws or if it is somehow not "aesthetically pleasing" ), but there isn't going to be some sort of purge of the other systems: natural selection will be allowed to run its course.

I can't see Cernow being the official form, Kernow is too deeply ingrained.

The problem with aesthetics is that it is a subjective thing. I don't like parts of U / UCR. Others don't like Kemmyn. Who's to say which is more pleasing? I personally think that squyth is an ugly word. I would much rather have a SWF which is regularly spelt, phonemic, is easier to teach and learn, than an irregular hotchpotch of a language which is much harder to teach and learn but which a handful of people subjectively consider somehow more pleasing to the eye.

Quote:
My own opinion is that we should go for a regular, phonemic spelling system because it has many benefits and makes it easier to learn and to teach and to read. Beyond that I have no preference, I don't care if it's a regular spelling system based on KK, UCR or Unified or whatever

Quote:
Considering how close U, KK and UCR are in grammar and pronounciation I find it hard to understand your vehement opposition to the other forms, KK in particular. If the chosen SWF is to be UCR as it stands, well fine, I'll use it; if the chosen SWF is to be UCR with a phonemic spelling, that would be brilliant; if it's KK, that'd be brilliant too.

I don't frankly care WHICH form is chosen so long as one IS chosen, and I think that phonemic spelling has too many advantages for it not to be utilised in the SWF - having a dictionary with diacritical marks which aren't used in writing would make reading Kernewek like trying to read old Hebrew written without vowels!

Quote:
I've always had an open mind, I just want a decision made ASAP, and I don't think that there's enough of a difference between the forms to get worked up about. To me the regular spelling of KK weighs heavily in its favour but I've nothing against the other forms.
Bardh

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've already got a Standard Written Form. A democratic decision was made twenty years ago. Nobody's got the write to tell the Cornish-speaking community that their wishes count for nothing.
Morvyl

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nobody's got the 'write' to tell them that, however, it is the Cornish themselves who use four different spelling systems, so we can hardly say that there is One standard written form, but four. You are distorting the situation by claiming there is a single written form when there really isn't.
Scottish Republican

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't argue, use.
Morvyl

Network this topic
Digg It
Del.icio.us
Slashdot It!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na lavar dhybm an peth a allama dadhla yn y gever! Th'eraf vy ow usya an Kernowak pb dedh. A yllyta jy leveral an keth tra?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: